Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Scarborough Answer



Okay, let's take a step back and see what we can do with this, shall we? Do we want to fight against a wall that won't move? Or should we maybe (and I'm spitballing here) bring in people who can be?
Moved, that is.
The power (and the hindrance) of our movement is that despite all our call for tolerance is this underlying 'my way or the highway' which sounds an awful lot like the people we're fighting against, the walls that will not be moved. BUT it has been my experience that 70+% of the time, when people who might be waffling, on the fence, are more inclined to lean our way when we accept them, flaws and all. They are more inclined to come to see things as we do when we treat them as we demand they must treat everyone else.
Don't get me wrong: reproductive rights ARE women's rights. Please never get it twisted. I will fight until we are equal in the eyes of the law. But I will fight smarter and build community where they simply cannot deny that they now stand on the right side of history.
We cannot win the battles or the war until we're willing to do this. I know it's not a popular opinion among my liberal friends, but unless you want us to continue to lose to the worst of them, we have got to start sheltering the least of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment